Not only a great song by a great singer Pete Yorn, but also a way describe how I am feeling right now. The past week I was in Kansas City, MO visiting family and friends for the Christmas holiday. But this trip was different, because for the first time ever I looked forward to going back to Chicago and when I returned it felt like home.
I have lived in Chicago for 6 years now and going back to KC for me was always going home. There was comfort in sleeping in my old room, waking up to breakfast, driving a car, all those things. This time around I was pushed into my mom's office to sleep (perpetual fear of all twenty somethings returning home for the holidays) and all at once I was no longer home, I was a guest in my parents house. Even coming to work today I looked forward to getting back to the daily grind, and on my salary people, that is simply unheard of. I guess this is my so called jumping off point, I have gotten old enough to where what was my home is now a house I share memories with.
Now my home is my 4th floor (horrible must... get... to... the... next... level) walk up in sunny (haha) Chicago. My friends are an essential part of the equation, being gone and missing our Tuesday night ritual of live music, and hungover Sunday brunches was torture. So I guess fate was right, Chicago is in fact my kind of town despite what I once may have thought. KC will always have a special place in my heart and no doubt will be a place I consider moving one day when I return to entertaining the idea of moving once again (hell). But as for now Chicago is home and I am ok with it.
Thursday, December 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment