Thursday, June 7, 2007

emote my foot!

Once again, I have to thank Helen E. for her way of always inspiring these blogs. Todays subject, what is it with 50 something (aka my parents, aunts, uncles, bosses etc.) and emoticons.

Exhibit A: Email from Aunt Joane
I know with the holiday approaching
Happy Easter Bunny…Cory and Ryan are beginning to salivate knowing what’s ahead! Fortunately for Kate – she sampled and approved the Strawberry Salad – so we gave her the final approval to enter the family. Congratulations to both Kate and Joe for their faithful journey. Kate will “officially” enter the Catholic Church at the Easter Vigil on Saturday night. Easter Cross

Neeners and Big Al (and gang – Kristen, Jimmy, Caroline, Meg, Shannon, Nick, Jake and ?) will all be coming in town this year! Spaz

I’m trying to accommodate the majority for “meal time” - I’m thinking early afternoon

(1:00 or 2:00) but would like to hear from everyone as to departure times, nap times (that includes Grandpa) and favorite time!

We filled the living room with a beautiful new pool table and Bryan is putting the finishing touches on the back patio. (lighting and waterfall) Pray for nice weather.

I’m so excited to have everyone here – especially the new arrival – Emmy! I haven’t seen her yet – but the Grandma’s are sure bragging!

Food assignments will be sent out once I hear everyone and firm up “brunch” or “lunch”

Study Hard and we look forward to having you home! Of course – we will miss Jimbo

Although from the looks of his picture file – he’s seeing plenty of Europe. (Jimmy – put yourself in a picture or two – we want to be sure there’s no beer belly!)

Looking forward to having my girls home soon too!

Love – Aunt Joane or Mom or Joane – depending who is reading this!

Can we say obnoxious! I mean honestly, the font size (which I scaled down from wait for it 35pt. to fit on my blog), the unecessary knowledge of emoticons, the fact that Jimmy was in London not Spain so what's with the hola guy, I mean really! Next thing I know my mom has caught on. A conversation with a friend earlier today explains it best:

friend: there's a really funny article in today's nytimes about facebook
11:25 AM me: such a peg leg (my mother) move
she is all into emoticons right now its annoying
friend: hahahahaha
emoticons
11:26 AM i'm telling my mom that exact sentence
11:27 AM me: seriously jimmy thought she was drunk when she im'd him in london one night because she was using all emoticons to communicate
friend: hahahahahaha
me: and now she is on google chat, outrageous
friend: i'm going to lose my job for laughing too loud

The article she directed me to was about a mom joining Facebook. Unnecessary Moms and Dads of the world, try talking to your kid and being involved with their life so you don't have to spy on them! My mom topped this off by joining google's gchat for gmail users. She now sends me the annoying emoticons on a hourly basis just to erk me.

Exhibit B: Conversation with mom this morning:

me: hi mom, quick question about cleveland this weekend
mom: whats up :)
me: is it casual?
mom: yup :) :)
me: unnecessary use of the smilies mom cut it out.

I then get an email that looks like this moments later:

Dear Beth:
:) :( :? :/ :] :o

Love <3>

Mom xoxoxox


Enough said. Lay off the emoticons people!

No comments: