Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Intern

So I am in an episode of The Office I am pretty sure. I hired an Intern last week and realized quickly that my power of delegation is making me the Captain Marvel of this office. (Wow who wrote that, they must be a huge nerd) Anywho... through my wit matched only by my laziness I have manage to turn my intern and myself into an unstoppable Alumni Relation machine. We get so much done in a day its ridiculous. Yes, don't worry I still manage to read tmz, blog, read cnn, blog, read the times, oh and blog.

Now to that episode of the office scenario. Every time I tell this kid (and by kid I mean the person sitting across from me who is no more than a year younger than me) to do anything, I feel like a complete jack ass. When I tell him to file, I feel bad, when I tell him to send out an email, I have him send it to me first. Oh and I spill coffee on myself at least twice a day, mostly when I trip over his computer cord sending his lap top flying towards me. (Yes we share an office and it is humiliating, as my Bear Window (see the office window blog) is glaring at me from behind his head.

Yesterday I had to introduce him to everyone on the floor, I know maybe three people on my floor. So here we are walking around the floor and here I am reading verbatim off so and so's name plate. This is Bob Smith, Bob is our VP of Advancement (Bob has no clue who I am and thinks I am the intern, rough). Then we get to a door where there is no name plate and the jig is up. I wait for no-name to introduce herself and tell him her job title, then as to not look like I didn't know it, I say: Linda works for the President, if you need things signed you go to her. (In other words reiterating what she just said)

Did I mention he is a health freak, he eats well, drinks water, probably works out. Meanwhile, ol' boss lady drinks her coffee and diet coke and is so hungover she needed a Starbucks breakfast sandwich this morning. Thats the other thing, he is perky and ready to work when he gets in, leaving me to look like a slacker as I enjoy my coffee and breakfast sandwich while catching up on todays most important story "Is She or Isn't She: Nicole Richie's Pregnancy". Hard hitting news I tell ya.

And to make matters worse, all I can think about is that damn new Harry Potter Movie and the book. I know I am going to be that person at the water cooler who doesn't make it to the movie this weekend and therefore gets everything ruined for them. Damn you water cooler harry potter loving gossip girls and boys, damn you! So I will just die of dehydration instead because i am too cheap to purchase bottled water.

Ok this blog is getting a bit lengthy and out of hand, so I sign off this morning a little less productive, slightly dirty (damn coffee), and most of all back to my blogging glory!

1 comment:

Helen E said...

I think you should hire a new intern in September - me. Then, I would get a tuition break, and Bear would be happy to look down on two Beths.