Thursday, March 8, 2007

Does my Ass look Big in This...

And it's official the NY Times' Fashion Section has their head way up their you know whats:

The above above link will take you to the New York Times' Fashion section. My favorite blogger friend Miss. Helen E sent me this story because she knows I'd roll around in my cubicle in a fit of laughter.


Men these days are concerned about tight fitting clothes accentuating the flaws of their bodies: The following image pops in to my head:

This folks is my brother Jimbo, I cannot for the life of me imagine Jimbo at 6ft 3inches and about 200+ lbs saying "look at these thunder thighs and this ass is huge, i need to get to my Pilate's class." My dear blogger bud added, I could also never see Jimbo buying an insanely tight fitting YSL suit.

Point taken. In the age of the emo straight leg jean, and the YSL slim fitted suite, are men becoming shall I say body conscious? And if they are could it be possible that perhaps they could be one step closer to understanding why people like myself 5ft 2 and lets just say more to love, don't wear the same things that those skeleton actresses like nicole richie and kate bosworth wear. This women of the world could be a step in the right direction.

Or for arguments sake is this just another example of our generations incessant need for approval and compliment. Parents no longer yell at their kids because it damages their fragile sense of self-worth. At twelve I knew what clothes were not flattering because my mother told me. Don't get me wrong I understand positive self image is a good thing to pass onto your kids but when your 12 year old at 110lbs says they are two fat to wear things, what exactly have you done to promote that. Patting them on the back instead of correcting them when they are wrong is not making them any more self sufficient and confident.

As for these men in tights, get over it suckers, it's called a fad, it will go as quick as it came. I never gave into the skinny jeans fad. Why? Because I have an ass and thighs and it doesn't look as good as my low rise boot-cuts. Not all body types are born for fashion, and who are these designers to dictate what someone should or should not look like. If I had listened the Calvin Klein in my formative years (the 90s) I would be a coke addicted skeleton, like his former poster child. Although I did like his black on gray color pallet.

The bottom line of this blog ladies and in particular gents: Not all of us are meant for high fashion, it doesn't make you worthless or less cool, it makes you confident enough to stand on your own and create a fashion that makes you feel good. If all else fails, just buy shoes, they always fit, they always look good, and even if they are wildly in style, they come in your size.

1 comment:

Helen E said...

That picture is worth 1,001 words. And they all start with "beer."