-The Wonder Years-
"Things never turn out exactly the way you planned. I know they didn't with me. Still, like my father used to say, 'Traffic's traffic, you go where life takes you' and growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers, the next you're gone, but the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul. I remember a time a place, a particular fourth of July, the things that happened in that decade of war and change. I remember a house like a lot of houses, a yard like a lot of yards, on a street like a lot of other streets. I remember how hard it was growing up among people and places I loved. Most of all, I remember how hard it was to leave. And the thing is, after all these years I still look back in wonder."
God I loved that show, still do. I feel like it would be amazing to have the ability to look over your life and narrate how you felt in the moment, how you feel now and contemplate on that amazing time in your life. I have been on a kick (literally) of thinking about my childhood mostly because I am starting a Kickball team. Yes, a kickball team, the great elementary school past-time. In Chicago these days kickball and dodge ball (previous to the movie) have made a comeback in an adult form. We for example are a bunch of 23 + year olds getting pumped in our cubicles for the big game against team schwetty balls.
After my 33rd email yesterday concerning the formation of our kickball team, I started to reflect on my childhood. I started having my own Kevin Arnold monologue playing over my childhood memories. I really makes me want to take some of our old home movies and do something with them. New project for the summer perhaps.
I have so many exceptional memories: Gretel the lunch lady from Germany with the big boobs and love of squishing you in them to sing you happy birthday in front of the whole school. Growing up on 71st terr. the best kid street ever. Where big wheels and wagons rules the street and where it was safe to run around the neighborhood all day with out a fear of being kidnapped. My first kiss behind the press box at Rockhurst College in the 5th grade. Or even the countless times I "ran away", one of which we have running commentary on thanks to Mr. Aldrich and the huge video camera we captured our lives on. A little taste of the video:
Mr. Aldrich: What are you doing beth?
Me (Age 4): Running away to sea world, can't you see the map (closes in on a map of the sea world park in Cleveland, oh)
Mr. Aldrich: That's a long way away beth
Me: I have a backpack
Mr. Aldrich: do you have a flash light, it gets dark on your way there
Me: (visibly hesitant) well maybe I will just run away tomorrow.
Moments like these that when I was 14 I hated my parents for capturing, but now I wish I could have my own version of Wonder Years. I guess I will have to settle on kickball for now, and don't worry we will dominate the league.
Friday, March 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment