It makes me begin to wonder, since college I have not dated 1 person for longer then about two weeks. Does this mean I have relationship ADD or perhaps am too judgy or impatient to just let things flow? I don't know, but being the girl that everyone thought would get married first I am certainly no where close to the top half of my friends. Am I happy or sad I have made that kind of commitment yet? I am not really sure. I feel immediately happy when my friends announce their engagements and then there is a bit of a sense of dread that I am perpetually single. I mean to be honest I would love to be at that stage in my life right now, but for whatever reason things just didn't go as planned. So instead I fall into the always the bridesmaid never the bride category as of late.
I can sympathize with the lead character in 27 dresses. For much of my adult life I have been in love with two people, both who I will never be with, so instead I have spent most of my time talking myself out of other relationships and keeping myself busy just helping other people get married. I have pointed out that I am in fact "Good Luck Chuck" every guy I have dated from high school on has married the girl he dated after me. Does this make me a lucky charm, a cursed person? I don't know. Needless to say for a girl who works at a Psychology School I certainly could take a trip down the hall to get this all sorted out.
But then there is the stubborn Irish woman in me that says, wait a tick, maybe I am just fine the way I am and haven't found Mr. Right. That could be in fact correct, but needless to say if I see one more status change on Facebook I might die... (okay that's dramatic) But it is starting to stink being in the back of the pack, my friends are entering a new and awesome stage in their adult life and they want to be friends with people in the same stage of life. I have seen it before with my older brothers friends. The few friends of his who are not married with kids yet feel somewhat left behind in perpetual young adulthood, (which I believe does have it's perks), but can end up looking like one of my second cousins who is 50+ and still acts 20 looking for the next gig (his photography career is still almost "taking off") and the next beer.
So on this Easter Eve, I ask all my readers out there (all 2-4) what are your thoughts on this subject, do you get excited when friends get engaged? Do you get enraged? Depressed? All I know is that I wish I had the excuse that my thriving career was taking up my time, instead my only excuse is I like to go out and get loaded with my friends (which I will never regret!).

No comments:
Post a Comment